Pages

Wednesday 12 November 2008

New Vis Mig Central?

After a look over the sea which showed lots of horrible sea/river mist, and a text from 'Bun' informing me of some bits and bobs flying over Beer, I thought I'd go to some high ground and see what I could see flying over the patch. Beer stables was where I ended up, and it was brilliant! Superb view over most of Seaton and the lower river valley, and most things passed right overhead. It takes me just over 20 mins to get from my house to my vis mig watch point at Axe Cliff, but from me house to here - about 3 minutes! This is the view looking east, note the river murk!

That's Axe Cliff in the distance

I only spent 45 mins here from 07:45 and my vis mig totals were: 1,450 Wood Pigeons, 420 Starlings, 3 Skylarks, 2 alba Wagtails, 5 Meadow Pipits, 442 Chaffinches, 3 Bramblings, 20 Goldfinches and 3 Siskins. Not too bad for such a short watch! If the weather is like this tomorrow morning I'll spend alot more time counting. I left promptly because I was so keen to have a look at the sea as the murk cleared. Spot On is where I went, surprise surprise!

I soon picked out the Surf Scoter with ten Common Scoters. Am still unsure about it's age, but its belly appeared pale when I saw it flap. As the sea was calmer and light better I tried some photos. It was still MILES away, so never going to get brilliant shots, but you can see the profile well on these pics....

A SUPERB photo of a distant blob....which just happens to be a Surf Scoter!


A bit closer


You can even see the pale nape patch on this pic! Alongside two Commons

Also a Great Crested Grebe on the sea and nine Brent Geese flew west.

No comments:

Post a Comment