Pages

Thursday 16 April 2009

I Do Knot Believe It!

No prizes for guessing what wader I added on to my (and the patches) year list this morning! My second sweep of the estuary today revealed this lone Calidris canutus; it may be grey, but it's a BIG FAT TICK! Also my first migrant Common Sandpiper of the spring, just north of Coronation Corner.

Spring wader passage continues

This was my second year tick of the day, the first coming during an hours seawatch this morning from 06:40.

At 07:15 two stunning Bonxies powered east through the bay, just what I was hoping for!! Other birds noted during this watch included lots of Gannets, c43 Manxies (c40 distant west incl. one flock of 20 and three close east), two Kittiwakes, one Ringed Plover and a Diver sp. The latter I only saw the arse end of as it flew south west; it seemed to lack the bulk of a GND, plus it didn't have any obvious feet, it didn't look like a RTD either.

Lastly, a bit of forgotten news from yesterday. On Seaton Marshes I saw my first three fully fledged juv Grey Herons of the year.

2 comments:

  1. cheers for the text mate. gave me a chance to leave the marking and report writing to go and see the knot. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knot a problem mate, knot a problem at all!!

    ReplyDelete