Pages

Thursday 9 April 2009

Another Day Another Year Tick (It's Another Wader Too!)

Yes my year list moved up another notch thanks to a pre-work sweep of the estuary. At the top of the estuary were the usual flock of Black-tailed Godwits, and at the bottom of the estuary was this lovely winter plumaged Bar-tailed Godwit; our first of the year...

As you can see, it's an especially long-billed individual!

I was really looking forward to a good sea watch this morning, but a look out my window when I woke up at 06:30 showed this...

NOT promising!

I still got up though and went down to the sea front - where my suspicions were confirmed - it was hill fog and the sea was (almost!) clear as a bell. Well it was 'til it started raining!! There were a couple of showers during my two hour watch, so after a short while I succumbed to the relative 'comfort' of Mum and Dad's beach hut that I mentioned in a recent post. Ian M even joined me here after a while - the more the merrier!

It's a shame that very few birds joined us! With my two hours producing just 58 Gannets, 30 Manxies, at least 14 Sandwich Terns, four Kittiwakes and a lone Common Scoter.....rubbish!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment