Pages

Friday 24 April 2009

An Estuary Update

Haven't had any real birding time today due to preperations for this weekends fun, but I did manage a ten minute look along the estuary late morning. As you can see from my funky moon gadget we are in the new moon period, which is the peak time for passage waders. And it shows.

The highlights were my second and third Bar-tailed Godwits of the year, the third one was the best. There are few waders smarter than a summer plumaged Barwit in my opinion, this photo doesn't do it justice...

STONKER!

Eight Whimbrel show a slight increase in this species but I couldn't see any small waders because they were probably all hiding around the corner up river.

Another highlight was my first Med Gull for weeks and weeks and weeks! It was a nice first-summer, but remained distant north of Coronation Corner, as can be seen from this photo....

It's the one on that bit of wood!

I may have another estuary sweep in my lunch hour, but otherwise I think that's it for me and birding for a few days. You will see why on this blog soon enough, have a good weekend everyone....

No comments:

Post a Comment