Pages

Sunday 1 March 2009

The Waites Invade Seaton!

This weekend my Uncle and Aunt have been visiting from Surrey, the first time I've seen them for about seven years! I still managed a quick tour of the estuary late afternoon today though.

There were two Iceland Gulls on the estuary, the 'dark one', and I presume the 'intermediate one', though I reckon it may possibly be a new bird - it showed a distinctive dark eye-mask. It remained distant and the light was always strong but I still tried taking a few pics....

This is the best of the lot

I also came across this first winter Gull which showed a very Caspian-like head and bill, I'm not convinced by the rest of the bird but it does look on the 'leggy' side too...

See what I mean....

And again...

This would have been a much better photo had the bird actually been in focus!!

After grilling the Gulls I watched from the farm gate, I was here for about half an hour and seen just 14 Little Egrets fly down river. At about 17:50 I thought I'd scan over the Bridge Marsh pool incase an early LRP had dropped in, there was indeed a small wader squatted down on the edge of the scrape. I drove round to Bridge Marsh gateway.

As the light was poor I had to walk out on to the Marsh, where I was surprised to see it was actually a Golden Plover! Even weirder was the fact it was paired up with a Dunlin! It ran around the edge of the scrape when I got too near, but just didn't want to fly off. It really SHOULD have been an American or Pacific.... one day....

No comments:

Post a Comment