Pages

Wednesday 29 October 2008

Pigeons!

Axe Cliff this morning hoping for some vis mig. This is the time of year that Wood Pigeons really get moving - and the weather conditions this morning looked perfect....

Perfect Pigeon passage conditions

So did I see any? YES! Nothing like the numbers I counted from the same spot on the same day last year (11,150), but still it was nice to see some fairly big flocks passing over head. Only draw back though was that it was FREEZING COLD! I can't thank Karen enough who loaned me her gloves, otherwise I wouldn't have any hands left!

Anyway, the totals for 07:00 - 08:45 were: 2 Shelducks (in/off), 3 Lapwings, 1 Golden Plover, 2,835 Wood Pigeons, 25 Stock Doves, 58 Skylarks, 6 Redwings, 152 Starlings, 13 alba Wagtails, 108 Meadow Pipits, 2 late House Martins, 224 Chaffinches, 1 Brambling, 7 Goldfinches and 3 Siskins.

The only reason I left so promptly was because I was sooooo cold, Karen retired with me too. Whilst wandering back towards the car, after I gave Karen a tip-off about an area containing good numbers of lost golf balls, I heard the distinctive and familiar noise Karen makes when she see's something of interest. And what was it? A Lap Bunt maybe? Woodlark? No...... a bright yellow gold ball!!!

A quick look off Seaton a little later in the day showed singles of Common Scoter and Razorbill on the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment