Pages

Monday 9 August 2010

Water Vole Exclusive

I popped down Seaton Marshes late morning... yes I didn't go out until late morning, I had a VERY busy and tiring weekend!

On the Borrow Pit was this drake Tufted Duck, which was nice...

The Coots didn't like him!

I also just had to take this rather amusing looking photo...

Feeding must be good here!

A real treat came my way when this van pulled up...

It was a van-full of Water Voles!

Today the introduced population of Water Voles on Seaton Marshes got a bit of a top-up! And I was invited to watch/help... Here's roughly how it went...

In here are four Water Voles...


Which were then transferred from their cage into this pop-up laundry basket type thing...


And this is what it looked like inside the laundry basket...



Then one at a time they were put into Pringle pots, at first like this...


But if they resisted, like this...


Then the Pringle pots were passed to the 'in ditch team'...


Where they carefully enticed the Water Voles into ready made burrows. As soon as one went in, the Pringle pot was passed back to be re-loaded, "another one please...."


I shall end this post with the best shot of a Water Vole I got. Thankyou so much guys for letting me join in, I hope all your efforts prove worthwhile.



3 comments:

  1. Interesting post Steve. If anything needs a bit of help, these creatures certainly qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dean. I am always sceptical about re-introduction projects, but yes, I think this is one that can be justified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I am an MSc Species Identification and Survey Skills student at the University of Reading. I am going to do a presentation on water vole survey and mitigation and I would like to use the pictures of water vole on your webpage, if allowed. I am therefore writing to ask for royalty free permission to use these photographs (I will credit you both under the photographs and in the reference). I will greatly appreciate it if the permission is granted.

    Thank you very much for your kind attention. I am looking forward to your favourable reply.

    Yours faithfully,
    Stefanie Woo

    ReplyDelete