Pages

Friday 20 August 2010

Persistance Pays

I was down the sea front for 06:30 this morning, only to find the conditions rather pants!

Wind wise it was good, and there was only a bit of drizzle to contend with - so that was good too! It was the visibility, with sea fog vastly reducing the view of the sea...

Not good!

It was very frustrating really, I'm sure things were passing beyond the fog. But I kept at it, and at 08:05 got my reward...

I was scanning as I had been with my bins when a juvenile Black Tern came into view! It continued on west in company with a Common Tern and I enjoyed some nice scope views of this little beaut. I did try to get a distant snap of it, and in one photo you can just about make out a dark shape - JUST!

I finished the sea watch at 08:30, and by that time had seen: 8 Common Scoter, 61 Gannet, 9 Kittiwake, 21 Sandwich Tern, 6 Common Tern, 14 Commic Tern (all in one flock, they flew east and were disappearing into the fog when I first spotted them!) and of course the marsh tern :-)

The rest of the day was a bit of a disappointment really - I was expecting good things with this weather.

Blackhole Marsh showed the same wader selection as recent days, plus 14 Teal, and wildfowl on the Estuary included the Red-crested Pochard and a Wigeon. 20 Ringed Plovers and a Whimbrel were the only notable waders here. Four Greenshank remain on Colyford Marsh with two Green Sands.

No comments:

Post a Comment