Pages

Monday 1 February 2010

The 'White One' Revisited...

Luckily my Monday night 'Iceland' has been re-found, and it's true identification, well...not sorted, but quite rightly questioned anyway!

In the water, it did look 'odd', but when it started wandering about, its size (noticeably smaller than all surrounding Herring Gulls) and shape (longish wings, very cute and soft headed appearance, shorter legs) comforted me that it was indeed a white second-winter Iceland. Although many books say "if it is pure white then it probably isn't a true white-winger", there are several photos on the net proving otherwise.

I thought an unusually long-billed Iceland was what it was, but it's looking more and more like it isn't... Anyway, I'm glad it is still with us, and hope more views of it will help us ascertain its true identity...

I haven't had an birding time lately due to work, but last night I ordered a new toy. As you will have read, my camera needed replacing, and the replacement is on its way.... Watch this space... (I'm VERY excited!!!!!)

1 comment:

  1. Steve,

    Are there any pics showing the bill?, this should help decide if a 2nd winter / 3 cy Iceland is involved. Some grey mantle feathers are usual by now too

    ReplyDelete