Pages

Tuesday 9 February 2010

Black Redstarts

There's been a couple of Black Redstarts showing at Seaton Hole over the last couple of days. So after I had a look around Beer Beach this morning and saw not a single passerine, I tried my luck here.

When I got down the bottom it was soon apparent there were more than two... there were in fact FIVE! This may explain why there were none on Beer Beach!? I guess this is actually a very good single site mid-winter count for Devon; I'm sure there is no where else you can go in the county at this time of year and see this number of Black Reds?

The five were made up of a fine adult male, and four female-types, and this is their favoured spot...

Four of them (including the male) seem to prefer the red cliffs, whereas one was much more faithful to the large white rocks at the cliff base- presumably the one Gavo managed to snap so stunningly yesterday, see his blog

I gave my camera a bit of test out whilst here, but as I've still not got a memory card, to enable me to store a few more pics on the camera's internal memory, instead of shooting at 12 mega pixels, I was snapping at just five.

One thing I can say about Black Reds, except of course how stunning they are, is that they don't like their faces being photographed...

Show us your faces!!!!

Eventually they did play ball a little more, though the male was always a little way up the cliff face...

Damn sea weed!

A stunner!

As soon as I get my memory card (which should be today or tomorrow), I'll get back down there ASAP and snap away at the camera's full capacity

2 comments:

  1. Ive been following your blog for several months now and I enjoyed it a lot,I'am an international award winning artist,see my blog on agnesdale.blogspot.
    You havre amazing photos.Thank you for posting and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou so much for your kind comments. I'm very impressed with the art work on show on your blog, excellent!

    ReplyDelete