Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Spring; Day One

A quick check of BirdGuides early afternoon today showed news of four Wheatears on Portland Bill - after seeing this, an afternoon stroll over Beer Head immediately became a necessity!

For a couple of springs, I was really lucky with early Wheatears and bagged them on my first Beer Head visit of the year. But over the last couple of years, my luck has changed drastically, with several blank mid and late March visits to our migrant hotspot. Was today going to see a change in fortune again...?

Whilst scanning over a field near the end of Beer Head, a bird caught the corner of my eye as it flew close past me. My next binocular view looked like this...

This is the sight I always long to see after a winter of birding!

TWO stonking male Wheatears :-) I didn't want to get too close to them, so no cracking photos I'm afraid, but here's a couple of distant efforts courtesy of the Lumix...

Bliss, total and utter bliss!

These two beasts weren't just my first Wheatears of 2011, but also the earliest ones I have ever seen on patch!

No comments:

Post a Comment