Pages

Wednesday 7 April 2010

Blackhole Marsh Saves The Day

A Beer Head wander first thing showed next to no grounded migrants. A few Linnets, alba Wagtails, Meadow Pipits moving over west were nice to see though, as was a Siskin (also over west).

There really was SOD ALL in the bushes, so tonight when I read about Portland's mega fall today I was just a little gutted! Though on PBO's website they do mention they had cloud cover at dawn - we didn't - clear skies. Just shows how important weather is when it comes to falls of migrant birds. Anyway enough of that, back to this morning...

After Beer Head I headed for Blackhole Marsh, where this treat was waiting for me...

Hmmmm...what's that distinctive little shape down there??

Yes folks, our first Little Ringed Plover of 2010...

About bloody time!!

There were also two very smart White Wagtails near by and a Common Sandpiper - I reckon a spring migrant (the one wintering bird is always around the harbour). It was nice to hear these all around too...

One of many Willys!

That should have been it for me today in the field, but a shout from Bun had me dashing back to Blackhole Marsh at about 13:00, to see this...

PHWOAR!!!!!

There were now four White Wagtails here too. Later on in the day my old man scored with our first Sedge Warbler of 2010 also at Blackhole.

To round off the birdie section of this post, here's a nice 'tame' photo...

I do love my Lumix :-)

And now to Moths...

I wouldn't have bothered putting my trap out last night if I'd known how much rain was actually going to fall! I had many soggy egg boxes this morning! I'm pleased to say there were a few moths though, 7 of 4 species to be precise. Two of these were new for the garden...

Grey Shoulder-knot

Small Quaker

The other four moths were a Common Quaker and three Early Greys... now whoever named that moth must have been blind! The three this morning where stunning beasts, certainly not just grey - one of them had an amazing pink hue to it!

I shall finish with post with a photo of another insect, a brave butterfly flying around a rather windy Beer Head this morning...

Small Tortishell

No comments:

Post a Comment