Pages

Friday 10 April 2020

Redstart and Spoonbill

A screeching Jay has been the only addition to the house lockdown list since my last post, but our daily family walks have come up with the goods both today and yesterday.

Yesterday I was delighted to see that flash of red that you always hope to see in the spring - Common Redstart.  This was on Stafford Marsh in the middle of the afternoon, a young male...

Wasn't sure if I was going to see one this spring so thrilled!


Also my first Reed Warbler of the year singing quietly along with a drake Shoveler on Black Hole Marsh.

Today we took a different route to the wetlands through Colyford, which gave me my first three singing Willow Warblers of the year.  Shortly after we arrived at Stafford Marsh a quick scan of the sky revealed the surprisingly shape of a Spoonbill!  It dropped on to Black Hole Marsh just long enough for me to grab this dreadful photo with my phone...

An adult too - sorry again for the awful photo!


For the rest of the time it was around it remained flighty, and am not sure it's still here as both Phil and Ian M watched it gain height and appear to depart.  

Was nice to see a Red Kite fly low north up the river too whilst here, possibly making up one of seven that were seen together just north of Axminster about half an hour later.

No comments:

Post a Comment