Pages

Tuesday 5 February 2013

Two Hours, Two Ticks

Had plenty of things to do today, so only spent a couple of hours out birding.  And in those two hours I notched up two patch year ticks. Yipeeeee!!

One hours parking fee went in the machine at Branscombe mouth this morning, and after fifty minutes of looking at oodles of Goldcrests, tits and three Chiffchaffs (including a very grey but silent bird) at the sewage works I was feeling well and truly defeated.  But then I picked up my target bird, a lovely Firecrest.  I watched it for as long as I could (about five minutes) before I had to leg it back to the car.  

It appeared shortly after a few Long-tailed Tits appeared, so I wonder whether it was with these and not all the other crests that were always present.  It wasn't in the trees immediately around the sewage works either, it was on the edge of the thin strip of woodland to the west of the sewage works. 

Later in the morning, I went down to Colyford Common and am pleased to announce I have finally seen a Stonechat...

About bloody time!

Also here were four Rock Pipits, a Jack Snipe, 12+ Common Snipe and c25 Teal.  I am so surprised our Green-winged didn't stay longer - it really makes me wonder just how much wildfowl movement goes on in mid winter!?

Today's year ticks put me on 114 for the year. I really hope to add some more gulls to the list this month (at least two please!), and some nice flat seas would be helpful so I can add a grebe sp. or two...

2 comments:

  1. You've just reminded me of an unforseen benefit of my patch choice this year. Unless a Branscombe mega dictates otherwise, no car park fees!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Gav! Although hopefully we'll have a few birds that will tempt you out of your patch. I'm sure you'll get a few that will have been rushing back down the Estuary!

    ReplyDelete