Pages

Monday 21 November 2011

Off Patch Antics

I tried again for the Spotted Sandpiper at Lyme this morning, and scored! It was on the lower rocks just east of the mouth of the Lim. It could have been a lot closer, but I had to make do...

So should be on our patch!

And here's a quick video...


Looks so out of place!

After this, a look around the patch showed very little new. Although it was nice to see this huge flock of Fieldfares, Redwings and Starlings near Axmouth...

If you enlarge this photo, you will see all the dots on the tree tops - and they are all birds!

I then spent the rest of my day with my head buried in my laptop - it just had to be done!

Yesterday, I enjoyed a splendid day with Pat around his patch - Prawle Point. He really is the 'guru' of patch birders! Here on the Axe, we can pop out for a swift look along the Estuary, and return home within the hour to enjoy tea and cakes.... When Pat steps out the door, he's gone for at least ten hours (17 in the summer!).

Don't jump - there will be another Dartford Warbler this year I'm sure!

Although it was a quiet day for birds, it's easy to see why Pat makes the effort - what a place, just oooozing with potential. It's been proved too, with the tremendous list of birds that this place boasts.

The scenery ain't bad either...

Looking west and east

And the sunrise was rather nice...

Morning :-)

The best of what we did see were three Water Pipits (on a beach - not typical Water Pipit habitat - apparantly!), a Brambling (although we didn't actually see it), and for me anyway, about a hundred of these...

Easy to take these for granted down here, they are literally everywhere!

Sadly it really did and does feel like autumn is over though...

No comments:

Post a Comment