Pages

Friday 4 June 2010

Back Home To Three Figures

I am home! And luckily I came across no bears, so no bear wrestling required! The New Forest was stunning though, and although this wasn't a birding trip at all, waking up to Cuckoos and singing Siskins was just fantastic. The only birdie photo I took was this one...

Two Mandarins at Eyeworth Pond

We returned home yesterday late afternoon, and I didn't hang about putting the moth traps out. I had both out last night, and it was well worth it. This morning I had 106 moths of 31 species....brilliant!!!! This total included four new for the garden....

Every new for the garden I've ever trapped I've photographed, but this morning one got away before I could snap it. Lucikly it wasn't rare and it wasn't tricky to ID! It was a Clouded Silver, and if you want to know what one looks like click HERE. The better behaved firsts were...

A stunning Chinese Character; one I've always wanted. Small isn't it?...that is a 5p!

Common Swift; another fine moth :-)

The Shears; not quite as exciting I admit!

The rest of the catch looked like this (with new species for 2010 in red): 47 Heart and Dart, 5 Treble Lines, 5 Vine's Rustic, 5 Brimstone, 4 Common Marbled Carpet, 4 Red/Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet, 4 Flame Shoulder, 2 Peppered Moth, 2 Yellow-barred Brindle, 2 Common Carpet, 2 Pug sp., 2 Muslin Moth, 2 Bright-line Brown-eye, 2 Marbled Minor, 2 Spectacle, and singles of: Poplar Hawkmoth, Mullein Wave, Portland Ribbon Wave, Purple Bar, Common Pug, Waved Umber, Cream-spot Tiger, Heart and Club, Large Yellow Underwing, Small Square-spot, Setaceous Hebrew Character and Knot Grass.

Any moth experts looking at the above list will see Portland Ribbon Wave jump out at them. I caught two here last September (HERE and HERE), which I put down as migrants. But one this early surely begs the question whether there is a colony of them on the undercliff somewhere near Seaton? Anyway, here is this morning's specimen..

A very nice surprise!

And here's a few other moth photos from today to finish this post...

The Poplar Hawk in the sun

Only my second ever Mullein Wave

My third ever Cream-spot Tiger; what stonking colours!

Peppered Moths are always wonderful to see

A slightly unusual Heart and Dart; it stood out from the others

No comments:

Post a Comment