Pages

Tuesday 24 January 2023

One Hundred!

Absolutely loving these freezing frosty mornings, makes going out early in the day even more of a joy than usual.  Today proved the coldest of the year so far, it was -5c at 8am, and no warmer twenty minutes later when I took this...

Almost black and white except for the Roe. A truly epic frost.
 

Have added two new birds to the Patchwork Challenge list this week making it a ton for me now.  Grey Wagtail was the rather uninspiring 99th bird, but number 100 was the over-wintering but highly mobile and elusive Dartford Warbler.  Only the third I have ever seen in the valley, so a great bird for the year list and a nice male to boot.

The recent Great White Egret has proved the longest staying of this species in Axe history, but with the appearance of one on the Otter Estuary yesterday I presumed its stay had come to an end.  Well I was wrong, during my drive home from work late this afternoon I spied this feeding in a small ditch right by the A3052 at Bridge Marsh...

Little and large!

Look at that neck

It was feeding well

Amazing how erratic and generally elusive this Egret has been, considering the fact it is a three foot tall pure white bird.  No wonder it took me almost two months to see a Dartford Warbler!!


No comments:

Post a Comment