Pages

Friday 6 January 2023

Eastern Yellow Wagtail...finally!

This post was so very nearly titled 'That Bloody Wagtail!'

My year list keeps moving forward at a steady pace, which was always the way I was planning to do it.  Yes I will be making an effort for any goodies that show up but my current aim is to casually mop up all the usual fare as the days roll by - and that is exactly what I have been doing!  Now, back to this Wagtail...

Since it was first found by John Gale on Christmas Day there had been no further sign of the probable Eastern Yellow Wagtail on Colyford Common. Then just as surprising as the reappearance of the Izzy Wheatear, the wag was seen again on 2nd Jan, albiet briefly. The 3rd was a dreadful weather day, but following mid-afternoon sightings on both 4th and 5th, I planned my day today so I could be at Colyford Common for 2pm.  Well it actually showed up at 1pm, but thanks to our amazing local WhatsApp Group (thanks Mark and Mike) I shot around from my location on the other side of the river and thankfully arrived just in time! But I do mean just...

On my arrival to Colyford Common it was out of view feeding in a ditch, but a minute or so later up it popped onto a grassy tussock. It remained here for just over a minute then took off and flew away to the north with no further sign up to dusk. I cannot tell you the relief I feel for finally seeing this bird, which is proving the most elusive and unpredictable rarity we have ever had on patch!  I will return to the ID of this bird in a later blog post but here are my record shots from today...

When it is on the Common it looks so settled, so have not idea why it keeps disappearing and where it is disappearing to!

Another rubbish pic, but it picked the colours up ok including that yellow wash to the throat

Whilst I was here, it was nice to get my best views yet of the Isabelline Wheatear, a bird we are so lucky to still have with us...

Finally I have a pic showing a more typical Isabelline Wheatear stance and structure! Long legs, upright posture, etc..
The dull light allowed my camera to pick all the lovely subtle shades of peach

The closest it came
 

Right, best get on with telling you about the other year ticks I have enjoyed since my last post.  Well with my casual approach I am still ticking off species like Bullfinch, Fieldfare, Coal Tit, etc, but have had some notables as well.

Early on 5th, stood in the middle of a pitch-black Colyford Common with Kev hoping the wag would make a post-roost appearance, a Green Sandpiper called several times from Colyford Marsh as we enjoyed good views of a hunting Barn Owl...

video-grab

On the 4th I finally added Black Redstart to my year list (I say finally becuase we have at least three wintering with us!).  It was during my walk to work along Harbour Road when I suddenly heard a Black Redstart calling, and was delighted when I clapped eyes on this..

What a stunner - it was our one an only male!

Also on 4th, my lunch time walk at work involved a walk along the beach. I was going to head out at 1pm, but a message came up on the WhatsApp that a flock of Brent Geese had flown west past West Bexington at 11:40.  I moved my lunch forward, and at 12:20 was in the right place to see this...

*** if watching with sound turn it right down! ***


So I think that just leaves me with the rest of today. When news came through that the wag was present, I was getting wet feet at my most reliable site for Jack Snipe on patch. It was worth getting wet for though as I had great views of three, along with 14 Common Snipe.  Love it when a plan works out!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment