Pages

Tuesday 5 October 2021

Jay Movement

After a rapid moving and wet front that came through last night, I was keen to get out this morning expecting to find the patch littered with storm blown scarcities such as Grey Phalaropes, Leach's Petrels, etc...

Naturally bearing in mind my high expectations, I found nothing.

It was actually remarkably calm by 07:30, and the only movement on the sea was extremely distant Gannets pilling through west.  Nothing else out there of note though, or anywhere in the valley despite the higher than usual water levels caused by the overnight rain.

Sunrise

 

Whilst I was seawatching and checking the Estuary, I was surprised at how much vismig was going on overhead, mostly quite low too.  All the usual suspects were passing over with alba Wagtails being especially numerous, plus it was great to see some Jays too! 

There's been a large movement of the species within the UK over the past few days, although these were my first.  Apparently there's been a bad acorn crop this year, and coupled with a good breeding season for the species it means there are lots of hungry Jays about!  No doubt numbers will soon be bolstered by continental birds too, if they haven't already been.  

Whilst I was out I saw groups of 16 and eight fly high west over town, as well as one briefly perched on telegraph wires right in the centre of town itself! 

My biggest flock of the morning, sadly flying away by the time I pointed my camera at them

 

A great example of how a relatively common bird can reach a whole new level of awesomeness in an instant.  Vis migging flocks of Jays - just brilliant!

Considering the weather that we've endured over the past week, I have of course spent some time looking at the sea.  However almost all the times I have looked at it not much has been flying over it to keep me interested.  For example the highlight of my seawatch on the morning of  30th was this packet of crunch creams...

Well half-packet by the time I took the photo!

I did see my first Red-throated Diver of the autumn, along with two more Brent Geese and four Common Scoter.  But aside Gannets that was it, frustratingly.  No hoped for record Balearic passage that's for sure.  Ian Mc has managed a few skuas, but none have passed whilst I've been watching the waves.

The other bird that I've seen since my last post worthy of blog space, was the lovely juv female Ruff on Colyford Marsh scrape on 2nd. Still not a Pec mind, and I fear time is running out once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment