Pages

Tuesday 2 May 2017

May Day

May kicked off with much calmer weather than April ended, but there were still some birds to be found. Am sure I would have turned more up yesterday if I had more time, it felt quite rare out there.

A twenty minute walk along the beach mid morning showed a flock of ten Sandwich Terns west and a mixed flock of 24 Dunlin and Ringed Plover high east. There didn't seem to be much happening further out but I reckon a longer watch would have revealed something, it felt good for a scarce Tern.

I didn't get out again until the evening. A look along the Estuary showed the five Bar-tailed Godwits and at least 16 Whimbrel were still with us. And Black Hole Marsh at dusk surprised me with a Little Ringed Plover, quite a late date for a new spring bird...



The Marsh Harrier was still present on Colyford Marsh as well, a distinctive bird with a broken outer primary on its right wing. I'm not sure if it is still present today, as shock horror I've not been out birding at all this morning!

Let's hope this May is a good one for spring overshoots. I get the impression there are still plenty of common spring migrants to arrive too, I have still not seen a Swift yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment