Pages

Tuesday 6 December 2016

Dusky Thrush (no not that one!)

More drivel today I'm afraid, blame this mild winter weather. Don't worry it's nowhere near in length as my last post! Oh and thanks for the responses to that one, been great to read all the honest accounts of Birding Blunders

You may remember a couple of weeks ago I wrote a post about how a 'grumpy birder' had logged on to the Bird ID page on Facebook and basically had a good moan about being asked to ID common birds. There were many phrases within his long rant like "buy a bird book" and "banging my head against a brick wall".  Here's my original post: http://stevesbirdingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/helping-others.html.

Go forward fifteen days (to 15:35 on Sunday 4th) and on the very same Facebook page a lovely lady called Rachel from Derbyshire posts three photos with a simple...

 "Just three for you today 😄 thankyou!"

Photo one shows a Starling, and would you believe it, the third photo is a good picture of a regular every day Blackbird.  Oh dear, 'Grumpy birder' would not be happy about this one bit. Rachel buy yourself a bird book and start working things out for yourself.  Unbelievable. 'Bangs head against brick wall'.

Oh yes, of course, there was also photo number two...

Photo (c) Rachel Jones


I have to be honest and say when I first saw this photo I wasn't sure if it was a wind up or not. But I told Rachel what the three species were, and she replied with two further photos of this absolute mega - a Dusky Thrush. It was no wind up.  And within a few minutes the Facebook Bird ID page went absolutely mental.

Fast forward two days and many happy twitchers and birders have seen this bird thanks to all the work put in by Rachel in sorting the access and parking arrangements. And of course because she felt comfortable enough to post this photo, with her two others of common birds, on Facebook.

So 'grumpy birder', and all others who think it's a good idea to go to places designed to help those who want help, only to have a good moan about the very people asking for help, well let this be a valuable lesson. If you take the time to encourage, who knows what will come of it one day.

Although personally I am not fussed about seeing this fantastic bird, I do have one question... Can I count it as a find tick??


6 comments:

  1. A salutary lesson for grumps like me, Stevie!

    Oh, and...er...what one? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes a different species would have been better but nonetheless makes the point well I think. Like I said though, I have nothing against any grumpy birders, it's just the ones that try and sour things for others.

      Delete
  2. In another area of interest I used to talk to anyone and everyone. When taken to task by a supposed expert, I was asked the question, "Why are you bothering with him? he doesn't know what he's talking about!
    My reply was, "He might not know what he's talking about, but I might know what he's talking about".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one Ric, we should be encouraging as many people as we can! Best wishes, Steve.

      Delete
  3. Grumpy birders ...... grumpy photographers ...... grumpy insect 'experts' ....... I've come across them all in the last few months ..... they haven't stopped my thirst for knowledge ..... they've just quelled my eagerness to ask THEM to share their expertise .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi buddy. Yes that's what upsets me most about some of the real grumpy birders, they have so much experience and knowledge to share if only they would. One of the best aspects of my time at Spurn was the fact that all the locals there were so happy and willing to share their knowledge which enabled me to learn so much. Best wishes, Steve.

      Delete