Pages

Thursday 4 December 2014

Blackcap Control

I've been meaning to post all week, but just haven't had the time. The blog post I was going to do will have to wait a bit longer now though as a very exciting email dropped into my inbox this morning...

On 14th May this year I caught this chap on Beer Head...



A lovely male Blackcap, which was a second-year bird (meaning it was born in 2013 - age code 5), had a wing length of 76mm and weighed 18.1 grams. It also had a ring on, and not one of mine - Y737725.

The blog post from that day can be found here: http://stevesbirdingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/back-to-beer-head.html.

This mornings email told me where it was first ringed. First of all, I'm pleased to say I aged and sexed it correctly, and even the wing length was an exact match!  But where and when was it ringed? Well on 5th October 2013 at Stanford Reservoir, Northamptonshire, which is 150 miles NE of Beer Head.




How brilliant! It obviously stopped off at Stanford Res during its autumn migration last year, and I guess I trapped it when it first reached the UK this spring.  It would have been nice to know where it was born, but still, what a great story.  Hopefully there will be many more like this to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment