Pages

Sunday 9 June 2013

My Moth Season Begins

There has been nothing in the way of moths or mothing on this blog so far this year. That's because I haven't done any!  Our new house and 'garden' just isn't suitable for a 125W MV bulb!!  Saying that though the first moth made it on to the house/garden list the other night, with a Green Carpet resting on the outside of the back door.

So, any mothing I do manage will be at Mum and Dad's, and this is where I set the trap on two occasions within the past few weeks. Both on very suitable mothing conditions, the evenings of 20th May and 2nd June.

The 20th May, although not a bad selection, was a very long way from what I would have expected considering the date and weather.  The final tally was 27 moths of 17 species. And here's some of them...
Least Black Arches
Clouded Border
Scalloped Hazel
Nut-tree Tussock
Pebble Prominent
Swallow Prominent
Sycamore
Waved Umber
Buff-tip side on
Buff-tip head on!

On the 2nd June there were just 12 moths of 11 species, very disappointing. So, although I have missed a lot of mothing opportunities this year, it would appear that I've probably not missed that much!

Before I sign off for the night, just a quick note to say I could well be on the One Show tomorrow (Monday 10th). There's a chance they may change the contents of the show last minute (apparently this happens quite regularly) but as it stands if you watch BBC1 between 7 and 7:30pm there should be a short piece on about Hoopoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment