Pages

Friday, 11 September 2026

Red-necked Phalarope - A Patch First!

I said these 'catch-up' blog posts would have good content, and you can't get much better than a patch first!  

Red-necked Phalarope is one of those birds that we always thought we'd eventually get here, but they remain a rare bird in the south west, especially in Devon so it was never going to be that easy.  I've always dreamt of a late spring adult, but a fresh autumn juvenile - thank you very much!

Bob Longhorn first spotted it when it dropped in on Black Hole Marsh by Tower Hide at about 08:45 on 24th August, which is presumably when it first arrived. It soon moved on from here but thankfully spent most of the next two days spinning around on the water just in front of Island Hide. What a bird...  


I didn't actually see it until the 25th - to say I am glad it stayed overnight is an understatement!  This was a patch rare I was fully expecting to miss


I have seen so many Grey Phalaropes over the years, most here, plus a Red-necked Phalarope in Somerset before, but this was the most juvenile-plumaged Phalarope I have ever seen.  Absolutely feather-perfect with those beautiful golden lines down it's mantle and of course those lovely curved eye masks...

Note the fine bill diagnostic of this species

Typically for a Phalarope it never stopped moving!  Great view of the golden v though.


This cracker becomes the 271st bird that I have seen on the Axe patch, my first addition to my Axe list since the Marsh Sandpiper also at Black Hole Marsh on 22nd August last year.   Funnily enough, the Marsh Sand was also my 271st bird for the Axe patch, however between then and now Green-winged Teal has been struck off as apparently it's 'just' a Teal.  So Marsh Sand became number 270. 

Such a tiny bird


I also want to use this post to announce the launch of a brand new and extremely exclusive club.  It was created at about 9am on 24th August 2026 and is named: 'Seen all the World's Phalarope's on the Axe club'.  

As I said it is extremely exclusive and I must congratulate Phil A on possibly being its only member, having seen the Axe Wilson's Phalarope in October 1991.  What's quite amusing is there are a few Devon birders who saw the Wilson's and came up for the Red-necked, but as far as I'm aware/informed have never made the journey up for the commonest of the three species, Grey.  But maybe I am wrong, have you seen three species of Phalarope on the Axe?  If so please drop me a comment.

Thanks for reading all.  Next up, more cracking wading birds on Black Hole Marsh this autumn....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment