Pages

Wednesday 16 October 2024

Another Yellow-browed Warbler

Yesterdays walk to work, following a night of south easterly winds and rain revealed there had been a fresh arrival of Chiffchaffs in the valley, with at least 14 where there had only been a handful over the previous few mornings.

This mornings walk to work showed only three or four Chiffs again, although the weather was pretty shocking with light rain and moderate winds.  However a vocal Yellow-browed Warbler was nice to stumble upon and more than made up for the weather.  I didn't have my new toy with me so below is a video I recorded on my phone. I was just trying to record the call but I have also captured me trying to get a passing birder on to the call, as well as my hopeless efforts at trying to work out where the bird actually was and my shockingly bad attempts at mimicking the call!  

The Yellow-browed calls about nine times in the video, but you'll need to turn the sound up to hear it...



I never did locate it, and had to head off to work pretty soon after.  So it is yet another heard only Yellow-browed for me, although at least I heard this one a lot better than Sunday's brief bird.  Their call is always such an uplifting and evocative sound to hear though, so I'm not complaining about it too much. 

The only other thing I have to report since my last post is my first night-time Redwings of the autumnon Monday night over the garden. Good to hear those 'seeep's again and a fairly early date for us down here on the south coast.


No comments:

Post a Comment