Pages

Sunday 22 October 2023

Wryneck

I absolutely love leading the Birdwatching Trams at Seaton Tramway, an add-on from my day job there as Commercial Manager.  This is the fifth year I have been guiding them and this morning I led our final one of the 2023 season...

Photo courtesy of today's driver, Wendy

As each season goes by, we learn and alter this special event (like of all our events) with a view to constantly improving the experience for our customers. One such change for this year was that we held many more trips in April, July, August and September, with the July and August dates being evening departures.  Although during these months we don't have the quantity of birds on the Axe (wading birds, wildfowl, etc), the variety of species is much broader with a load more potential - and it has worked a treat!  

Running them at various times during the year also offers the customer something a little different each trip.  For example this morning we were under clear blue skies so it was great to show and explain to everyone the autumn passage of Wood Pigeons, Jackdaws and passerines that were flying west over our heads throughout the morning.   

Such lovely weather this morning!

Whilst guiding on these trams there is always the chance of finding something decent too, especially as the tram offers a slightly different view of the patch.  I have actually done ok with tram-finds this year, my best year in fact, with Great White Egret, Caspian Gull and Garganey - but I took it to another level today. A long-hoped for tram-find fulfilled even though it isn't all that rare.

I think I was waffling on about Oystercatcher bill shapes as the tram was slowly trundling north up the line from Riverside Halt, when a low flying grey shape with dark stripe down its back triggered me to yell to the driver to stop the tram... "Wryneck!".  I managed just one point and click record shot at this stage...

In my defence the sun hadn't even come up yet!

As ever when guiding, the stress then is trying to get everyone on the bird - but am pleased to say we managed it!  Even though only a few people saw it when it initially flew in front of the tram, we then went beyond it and stopped the tram again to look back.  It was soon picked up perched on the (wrong) side of a bush and stayed there for a couple of minutes allowing all to see.

Love that stripe!

Even better is that I have been able to share it with most of the other patch birders now, as it has been scopeable from the other side of the Estuary.  It has been flushing up most times a tram has gone past throughout the day, which at the moment is every twenty minutes!

This is amazingly my first Wryneck on patch since September 2010 - although I have missed three brief ones since (Colyford Common Sept '15, Beer Head Aug '18 and Beer Head August '19).  There was a decent influx of Wryneck earlier this autumn so it has very much been on the cards, and I have lost count of how many times I have traipsed around Seaton Marshes hoping for one, but I really thought I'd missed the boat seeing as though we are nearing November!

Just shows it is never too late... Well, unless you want to go onto a Birdwatching tram in 2023 because then you really are too late!  Pleased to say of course though they will be returning for 2024, led either by myself or Gavin with dates to be released soon.

 

2 comments:

  1. Definitely gets my vote as Birdwatching Tram Find of the Year! 😄 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally on the last trip of the year! Ta Gav

      Delete