Pages

Sunday 17 November 2019

Red-throated Divers

A nice flat sea this morning encouraged me to start my day on Seaton Beach...



As expected there was next to nothing flying over it, but on it were my first two Great Crested Grebes of the winter and a locally respectable count of eight Red-throated Divers. Unusually six of these divers were really close in, presumably indicating we've got some pretty good feeding conditions close in. Really enjoyed watching them...



This was followed by a quick look along the Estuary, which showed a single Knot with the roosting Redshank. Another quick look later revealed an Avocet too, another bird that first dropped in yesterday.  I then had just enough time to confirm the continued presence of at least three Water Pipits opposite Colyford WTW (which I continued to photography abysmally!)...



Find of the day however goes to Mike, who turned up an extremely late Whinchat on Beer Head this afternoon.  Can't be far off Devon's latest ever?

2 comments:

  1. I'd be very interested to know Steve... it beat Derbyshires latest ever record by 5 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good going Mike! By the way Steve I managed to see one of your RT Divers close in off Fisherman's Gap this morning (Monday) before getting my bus. Cracking views...

    ReplyDelete