Pages

Wednesday 18 September 2019

Big White Birds

Just a quick update, but one that does include plenty of pictures of big white birds!

On Sunday night Phil found a Great White Egret on Black Hole Marsh (although a tram driver reported to me an egret that looked larger than a heron earlier that day, but from experience I've found sometimes driver's bird ID can be a bit ropy!).  I was stuck home Sunday evening, but a glance out the bedroom window was all I needed because there it was sat on a tree alongside the Tower Hide!  It stayed there about twenty minutes 'til it got too dark to see.  Please excuse the quality of the phone-scoped pic...

My second GWE from the house


This morning Jess suggested an early morning walk in Lyme - which I didn't vote against seeing as Richard let me know the night before that an unringed White Stork roosted near the Cobb.  I thought we had missed it as it was last reported flying east over town, but soon after our arrival there it was flying over town coming back west...



And much to our disbelief, it landed on the RNLI Station which we were stood right next too!!



Amazing views! After about half an hour it took off and flew west a little way out to sea, but seemed to turn back east and drop back in towards Lyme...



As we drove off a little while later, I could see it again in flight and heading west, so as we came back into Seaton I suggested we briefly stopped off at the sea front in case it kept on flying west.  And amazingly this greeted me...

Incoming Stork!


And it did exactly the same as it had in Lyme, it landed right next to us!  On a roof I'm more used to seeing Black Redstarts on...

The big white bird on the roof!
A White Stork on patch!


Soon after I left it, Kev watched it fly west over Beer Head and it's been seen today on the Exe, and finally this evening on a pub roof in Sidmouth!

Sadly though, although the sheer joy of seeing this amazing bird still lives on, the feeling it's given me inside has completely withered....  Look closer at the open wing shot on the RNLI building and there's clearly been some sort of human intervention with the tips of these primary feathers...



And despite the lack of rings, it's wearing some sort of satellite tag.  If anything this makes it even more intriguing though, why tag it and not ring it!??



So come on, own up, who is tracking this Stork!? Please get in touch!

2 comments:

  1. There's an item on the Dorset Bird Club facebook page tonight, linked to a Sidmouth herald article that says, that 2 "trained, free flying" white stork have escaped from a wildlife park near Wolverhampton. Both are radio tagged and someone is en-route to recapture them. Both are apparently tame (you should have had some sardines with you) and incapable of survivingfor long outside captivity. Kee up the blog, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian, thanks so much for the comment! Hope to continue to enjoy my blog. Best wishes, Steve

    ReplyDelete