Pages

Friday 16 September 2016

Osprey

A quick check of Seaton Marshes before work yesterday meant I happened to be in the right place at the right time when an Osprey decided to use our little valley as a highway out of the UK. 

I knew there was one about for a good five minutes before seeing it as all the birds up river scattered in a way they only do for an Osprey. I actually thought I had missed it as I'd been waiting for so long, but all of a sudden it came cruising down river with a few Rook in pursuit...



The bird began circling just south of Seaton Marshes hide, and before I knew it it was high above Axe Cliff Golf Course and still gaining height.  Next stop France...



This was - amazingly - my first Osprey of 2016. Usually see a few in spring and autumn but not this year, they've all been on the Exe!

I had a good walk around Black Hole, Stafford and Colyford Marsh this morning and saw;

21 Dunlin
1 Curlew Sandpiper
3 Knot
2 Ruff
16 Bar-tailed Godwit
2 Common Sandpiper
3 Wheatear
2 Yellow Wagtail
10 Chiffchaff
1 Spotted Flycatcher

Wigeon numbers are increasing by the day on the Estuary now, am keeping a close eye on them as an American flavoured one in eclipse plumage could easily sneak through.


No comments:

Post a Comment