Pages

Thursday 23 October 2008

Back To Normality

No posts for a week...virtually no birding for a week! I've been working every hour of the day (and half of the night!) over the last week as the shop's been shut for a full on re-furb. Yesterday and Tuesday were both 14 hour working days for me! All done now though, the doors re-opened at 8am this morning and it all looks pukka! So I'm pleased to see it's back to normal working hours for me : )

My 'day off' this week was Monday, I only worked 6am - midday. For the entire afternoon though it rained! I did have a look around but it was basically a waste of time!

This morning I tried a seawatch from the Spot On, I spent an hour and a half watching from 08:15. Although nothing with any local rarity-value flew past, it was fairly busy out there. My totals being: 334 Gannets, 3 Balearic Shearwaters (singles west at 09:00, 09:30 and 09:35), 11 Common Scoters, 2 Curlew, 2 Common Gull, 33 Kittiwake and 5 Auk sp. I fluffed a distant Duck/Grebe flying south with white secondaries, but only saw it for about half a second between the waves. Always frustrating!

Within the last week I did receive a reply about that colour-ringed Herring Gull I snapped last week. Nothing too exciting, but it's always interesting to find out the details of any individual bird. It was ringed on Heathfield Landfill, which is near Chudleigh. It was ringed as a first-winter on 15th November 2000, so that makes it just under eight years old! And rather surprisingly my sighting was the first time it has been reported since it left the clutches of the ringer's hands that day in 2000. Cool!

Once again, I apologies for the recent quietness of this blog, but I'm back now - all guns blazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment