Pages

Saturday 4 October 2008

Work Gets In The Way....Again!

A strong south westerly wind has been blowing for most of the day, with several squalls and very BIG waves. Certainly the worst conditions to be working in! And today was the ONLY day of the week I've not worked a late shift, but an all-dayer (8 - 5!). Typical! After I had missed all the action I legged it out of work at 16:59 and sped straight to the seafront to see not much at all; 2 Balearic Shearwaters, 1 Arctic Skua, 1 Kittiwake and a Razorbill were all I could muster up until 18:40. I see there's been lots of ocean-based goodies seen everywhere along the south coast this afternoon, hopefully tomorrow will produce the goods?

Anyone who has read my mini-bio will notice I am a trainee bird ringer. I started off at Dungeness, then Spurn, and am now a member of the Axe Estuary Ringing Group. We formed this group nearly two years ago. Last night (Friday) there was a wader ringing session at Colyford Common, and where was I?? At work! And what did I miss?? Lots! 31 birds in fact, lots of lovely waders; Curlews, Redshanks, Dunlins, Oystercatchers, etc. The highlight was this first for the ringing group. Thanks very much to Fraser Rush for these photos...

What a little stunner


Here it is with a Common one....yes, it's a Jack Snipe!

So let's see what tomorrow brings....lots of rain by the look of it!?

No comments:

Post a Comment