Pages

Tuesday 25 May 2010

A Few Nights Off

I last had the moth traps out on Saturday night....I just needed a break! Getting up at half four EVERY morning would be just a little too much for me, though I still had to get up at six yesterday for ringing on Colyford Marsh. This morning was very much a lazy and do sod all morning! Just what the doctor ordered :-)

My last trapping sessions was a success though, with a cracking first for the garden. Finally a Hawkmoth that wasn't Poplar or Elephant landed in my trap... two of them in fact...

Eyed Hawkmoth...coooooooooooool!

In all I caught 52 moths of 22 species: 6 Brimstone, 6 Pug sp., 6 Treble Lines, 5 Flame Shoulder, 4 Muslin Moth, 3 Hebrew Character, 2 Scorched Carpet, 2 Poplar Hawkmoth, 2 White Ermine, 2 Heart and Dart, 2 Yellow-barred Brindle, 2 Nut-tree Tussock, and singles of: Peppered Moth, Knot Grass, Poplar Grey, Pebble Prominent, Green Carpet, Red Twin-spot Carpet, Bright-line Brown-eyes, Vine's Rustic and V-Pug. Species in red were new for the year.

Ringing yesterday morning was very productive, with 36 birds processed. This included an impressive 18 Reed Warblers, 3 Sedge Warblers, a Cetti's Warbler (a fresh one too!), a stonking male Reed Bunting and a Meadow Pipit.

The only bird news I have is of three Lapwing on Colyford Scrape this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment