Pages

Saturday 8 May 2010

Bad Day For A Lay In!

I've been getting up at a stupid hour ever morning for the past week, so opted for a lie-in as the weather forecast for today last night looked pretty samey. Mistake! My lie-in did last a lot lot LOT longer than planned though...I finally got up at 11:50!!! Whoooops!

Early morning Beer Head sounded pretty damn good, and Portland have had a wicked day too. So a plea to all local birders... if there's birds to see, get me out of bed!! My phone's always on, so ring it and get my lazy ass in gear!! I really don't mind missing sleep if it's worth missing!

Anyway, as soon as I found out there were birds about, I was straight out the door.....at half past midday!!!

The fields behind Beer Cem gave me my only year tick of they day, with two Spotted Flycatchers just inside the gate at the top of the lane...

Neither of them allowed close approach though

Three Whitethroats were the only other birds of note here, but they were probably local breeders.

A Beer Head stomp late afternoon revealed two singing Lesser Whitethroats, but little else.

Seaton Marshes chipped in with a female Whinchat, with two seen here earlier in the day.

I've had two visits to Blackhole Marsh and two sweeps of the estuary today which have revealed the following totals: 10 Ringed Plovers, 18 Dunlin, 3 Blackwits, 1 Barwit, 7 Whimbrel, 450+ Swallows and 2 Yellow Wags (a fine pair on BHM, a real stonking male).

No comments:

Post a Comment