Pages

Tuesday 14 July 2009

Another Great Catch

First off, the two mystery moths in my last post have been identified, thanks (again) to Matt Knott. They are Small Square-spot and Brussels Lace - what a lovely name!

Last night's total comes to 74 moths plus micros. I had several 'new for the garden' species, shown here in no particular order...

Purple Thorn

Fern - I had two of these

Here's the other one

Engrailed

Swallow Prominet - this was a STUNNING beast!

Sycamore - I caught two of these, at first wrote them off as Grey Daggers!

Common Wave

Small Fanfoot

Double-stripped Pug, and look how small it is....

teeny!

And that's that! The rest of the haul was made up of: 8 Dark Arches, 7 Buff Ermines, 6 Elephant Hawkmoths, 6 Common Footman, 5 Bright-line Brown-eyes, 4 Scalloped Oaks, 3 Poplar Hawkmoths, 3 Riband Waves, 3 Peppered Moths, 2 Small Emeralds, 2 Early Thorns, 2 Small Square-spots and singles of Silver Y, Common Carpet, Grey/Dark Dagger, Buff-tip, Heart and Dart, Uncertain, Swallow-tail, Large Yellow Underwing, Willow Beauty, Spectacle, Brimstone, Clouded Border and a Rustic (prob Common).

Here's a few more picies....

Scallop Shell - a much smarter individual than the one I caught a few days ago

This is the first Silver Y I've caught in the garden.... but I have seen loads here

One of the Heffalump Hawkmoths after I let it free

There was a birdie highlight this morning too. Whilst photographing the Sycamore two Crossbills flew over calling. It would have been an even bigger highlight if they had been a year tick! The start of an autumn invasion?

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant stuff. Although Birders at heart we have been doing Moths and Butterflies while things have been quiet, and found it quite addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JRandSue thanks very much.

    I have always been interested in butterflies, and I suppose I have always been interested in moths but have just never bit the bullet and got stuck in....until now! : )

    ReplyDelete