Pages

Thursday 12 January 2023

Patchwork Challenge Update

Since my last post all my days have been work days, but I have still managed to see a few new species for the year list.  At least one a day in fact, until today which was my first blank day of the year for year ticks.  It had to come sometime!

Sunday 8th saw my first Black-tailed Godwit of the year. Weirdly I can only find three at the moment, not our usual 70+. I suspect they have dropped us for the new look Otter Estuary! Only two Dunlin on the Estuary too which is a poor showing.

Monday 9th I met with Kev at Tower Hide whilst it was still dark, hoping to see the Egrets leave the Axmouth roost as two Cattle were seen going in there!  After about 30 Little Egrets, and a lot of rain, finally a Cattle Egret emerged at 08:05 and flew north up the valley and away.  Result.  

Tuesday 10th was a really wet and windy day, so I walked along the beach before work. To my amazement the five ducks that came flying into view from the east were Pintail!  They landed briefly, flew back east then about five minutes later flew west along the beach.

Awful photo in awful conditions! But five much appreciated birds.


Tuesday didn't end so well, as I missed a Little Gull by a matter of minutes.  Clearly plenty more Common and Mediterranean Gulls about though, which is hopeful as it shows some Gull passage is underway!  

Wednesday morning I started the day stood in the dark with Kev again! This time on the beach, checking the roosting small gulls offshore in the half-light hoping to see the previous nights Little Gull in there.  No luck, with a couple of passing Fulmar being my year tick for the day.

And today, although it gave no year ticks (and I still need Greenfinch!) I was really pleased to have a count of 64 Med Gulls in an hour tonight on the lower Axe Estuary - 40+ of them being adults too! Still lots of Common Gulls about, plus a few more Lesser Black-backs but still no Little one!  

Year list stands at 87. Wouldn't mind a change in the weather now, well, once I see a Little Gull that is!


No comments:

Post a Comment