Pages

Friday 13 January 2023

Avocets and Gull Influx

Local photographer Susie found a couple of Avocet this morning on Colyford Scrape.  I saw them distantly here early-afternoon, and this evening at dusk saw them fly in and tuck themselves in for a snooze on the Estuary...

This is the best shot you are getting from me - the sun had long gone over the horizon!

 

Was pleased to add this species, and finally Greenfinch to the year-list today.  Disappointing however to miss two drake Goosander that were seen on the Estuary this morning, just typical I wasn't in my office the day they chose to float past my office window! But thanks for the message anyway Tim C.

My highlight of the day was the sheer number of gulls resting on the Estuary early this afternoon.  Common Gulls actually outnumbered Black-headed Gulls, with well over 1,000 of the former spread along the length of the Estuary.  In with them were 83 Mediterranean Gulls, the vast majority being adults and some already developing black hoods...

All those small gulls are indeed adult Meds!

Just about got eight in shot if you include that wing entering frame from the right!

So with all the above, plus a wonderful five mile walk with the Mrs around Tipton St. John this morning, I'd say I'd had a pretty good day off!



No comments:

Post a Comment