Pages

Tuesday 18 September 2012

What's The Date?

Well we have just passed the mid September mark - and to be honest I simply can't believe it. After the wet summer we've experienced I always thought this was going to be a poor autumn, but my God September (so far) has proved dreadful!

Yesterday I led an outing for the East Devon Branch of the DBWPS around Beer Head. The bushes were quiet with just eight Blackcaps, three Chiffchaffs, a Whitethroat and a Goldcrest - and overhead was really quiet with just a couple of small Meadow Pipit and hirundine flocks over west. The highlight was easily a smart Whinchat by the coastguard look out, with about ten Wheatear.

This morning I've had a good look about the Estuary - and have finally seen the Curlew Sandpiper on Black Hole Marsh first found by Phil on Sunday morning. It was with 15 Dunlin, two Common Sands but little else. Other parts of the valley showed 37 Blackwits, seven Ringed Plover, three Greenshank (Colyford Marsh) and three Wigeon.

For some reason I photographed this Grey Wagtail - and looking at Karen's blog it must be something in the air at the moment!

We will get Citrine one day I'm sure...

Afterwards, and considering the tidal state (high) I though I'd count the roosting waders on the beach. It was dead easy - there were none! Overhead a few more Meadow Pipits were on the move though.

I don't think this weather is helping the birding situation at the moment, a bit of rain wouldn't go amiss - I have had enough of this...

..though I think I am the only person in Seaton who thinks this!

No comments:

Post a Comment