Pages

Thursday 13 September 2012

New Moth For The Garden

Well I promised more regular blog posts, but that was presuming I'd be seeing some birds - it is mid September after all! Truth is I haven't really seen anything of note since my last post, a second winter Med Gull on the Estuary yesterday being the best. Wader numbers seem to be pretty consistent too at the moment with 30ish each of Ringos and Dunlin, and no biggie yet. We have got to get a Pec at least surely!

Thankfully though, a moth has saved the post (just!). A couple of nights ago, there wasn't much in my trap - just 51 moths of 10 species. Four of them were immigrants though, with three being Silver Y's. The fourth was this rather battered Delicate, thanks to Peter Vernon for confirming my ID...

Yes I would have preferred a Convolvulus Hawkmoth too - but a new species for the garden is a new species for the garden! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations :) had one last year but like yourself never had the big one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I don't really understand why I haven't had the 'big one' yet - I have had lots of immigrants (though never in big numbers) and every year have thought "this will be the year!". Hopefully 2012 may still be the year!

    ReplyDelete