Pages

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Migrant Moths

With good numbers of immigrant moths being record across the UK within the past few days, I have had the moth trap out in the front garden for the past couple of nights. I was hoping for a Convolvulus Hawkmoth or two, but failed yet again!

On Sunday night I caught 105 moths of 18 species, and last night trapped 125 moths of 22 species.

The migrants have included a garden first, with a single Vestal each night...

This was last nights one

I've also had three Silver Y's, two Turnip Moth, and singles of Dark Sword Grass and Scarce Bordered Straw....

My second for the garden

The most numerous resident moths I caught, in order of abundance were; Beaded Chestnut, Large Yellow Underwing, Lunar Underwing, Feathered Ranunculus and Setaceous Hebrew Character.

Notable non-immigrant moths included my first ever Large Wainscot...

Large it was too!

And two of these beauts....

So nice to see Merveille du Jour again!

So although I didn't get what I really wanted - I still got some nice moths.

I haven't done as much birding as I should have done over the last couple of days, but a sweep of the Estuary today showed a few Bar-tailed Godwits, a Knot, but no Semipalmated Sandpiper.

I'll finish this post with a picture of Seaton Beach and Semi-P twitchers/photographers on Saturday morning...

Pity it seems to have gone now

No comments:

Post a Comment