Pages

Monday 31 October 2011

And That Was October

...and it was probably one of the best Octobers I've ever had on patch! Very enjoyable indeed, with some quality birds and some memorable moments. The last two days had something to offer too...

As usual, my Sunday was spent at work. Unlike the previous Sunday though, I successfully connected with a large raptor! Obviously not as large, or as mega as the Eagle though!

At about 2pm my old man phoned me to say he had an Osprey fishing on the Estuary, but it was heading towards the sea. I soon picked it up from the back yard being pursued by the usual throng of Gulls. At first it looked like it was going to head out south east, but it turned around and flew west along the sea front. A couple of minutes later Bun had it go over Seaton Hole, and half an hour later it was seen flying over Budleigh cliffs!

After work, there was just enough light left to have a quick look along the Estuary and see three Med Gulls - two adults and a first-winter.

This morning, my day started with a Jack Snipe on Colyford Common, and a couple of hundred each of Wigeon and Teal were on Colyford Marsh. There were a few Redwing kicking about too...

A busy Colyford scrape!

It was then time for my monthly woodland bird survey near Colyton, and it was jammed-packed with birds!! It really is proving to be a bumper autumn for Goldcrests, they were everywhere in the wood - there almost seemed to be one in every pine! A mixed flock of c20 Lesser Redpoll and Siskin were nice to see, and two Crossbill and five Redwing flew over. No wing-barred Phyllosc though, I'm still looking and won't give up! Although this wind isn't helping one bit...

The rest of the birding time I had today I spent watching the Estuary, hoping the Weymouth/Portland Caspian Gull was going to drop in. It never did - in fact it is still there! I did see this interesting beast though, which at times hinted at being a 1w Caspo but barely ticked half the boxes. It point blank refused to fly, flap or preen though...

It was a very striking bird as you can see!

After a bit of cyber activity (thanks Gavo and Brett!), it seems a 1w Yellow-legged Gull would fit this bird best. Otherwise the Gulls produced just a second winter Med Gull.

Now let's see what's November brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment