Pages

Monday 15 August 2011

Lots Of Larvae, Waders, And Ringing...

This morning I had two net sets up at my most promising ringing site - the fields behind Beer Cem. Ringing wise, it was rather quiet - although this Whitethroat made all the effort worthwhile....

My first ringed as a 'solo' ringer :-)

There were another couple of Whitethroats arounds calling, along with 5+ Blackcaps, 4+ Willow Warblers, and over head I had seven sightings of a single Tree Pipit during the time I was here. I don't think they were seven different Tree Pipits, but at the same time I don't think it was just one!

I have got quite a bit to mention from Saturday now, when I spent the morning at Black Hole Marsh/Colyford Common.

There had been three Wood Sands in the area which were found the previous morning by Ian M, but this doubled to six right in front of my eyes as they flew up and down the valley calling loudly - a record high count for me - anywhere!!! A Little Stint was new in too, a juvenile on Black Hole Marsh which is still there today. A Hobby flew low south and looked like it was going...

Caterpillars were rather popular too on this morning, as seven Eyed and two Poplar Hawkmoth larvae were showing on the willow 'thing' that's just by the entrance to the Field Studies Base on Stafford Marsh....

Eyed Hawkmoth

Poplar Hawkmoth

No comments:

Post a Comment