Pages

Saturday 3 July 2010

109...

...is how many Elephant Hawkmoths it has taken me to finally get a Small Elephant Hawkmoth!

I was over the moon when I looked under one of the egg boxes in the only moth trap I ran last night. What a delicate little hawkmoth the Small Elephant is...

With an Elephant Hawkmoth in the middle pic to show the size difference

Another first for me was this Beautiful Golden Y...

Another yummy moth!

As I said above, only had one trap out last night, and I didn't get up pre-dawn to check around the trap, but still had 138 moths of 35 species, and they were:

17 Riband Wave, 16 Heart and Dart, 9 Buff Arches, 9 Uncertain, 8 Elephant Hawkmoth, 8 Dark Arches, 7 Flame, 7 Bright-line Brown-eye, 6 Willow Beauty, 6 Buff Ermine, 6 Minor sp., 5 Pug sp., 3 Heart and Club, 3 Double Square-spot, 2 Light Emerald, 2 Garden Carpet, 2 Flame Shoulder, 2 Ingrailed Clay, 2 Coronet, 2 Fanfoot and singles of: Peach Blossom, Common Emerald, Common Marbled Carpet, Pine Carpet, Sharp-angled Peacock, Foxglove Pug, Brimstone, Setaceous Hebrew Character, Dusky Brocade, Sycamore, Poplar Grey, Spectacle, Snout and the two new beasties.

This afternoon, a look at Lower Bruckland Ponds revealed Small Red-eyed Damselflies are out. On the second pond down I saw four males and a female (a couple of record shots below). Also two male Red-eyed Damselflies.

Nice to see them again

No comments:

Post a Comment