Pages

Wednesday 16 June 2010

Ticking Over

Sorry for the lack of posts recently, I could blame it on lack of birds or lesser numbers of moths, but the truth is, I've only just got over this...


Oh dear... I didn't want to see that again!!!

Since my last post I've trapped on four nights. I won't list every moth, instead will just briefly sum each night up...

Friday night gave me 103 moths of 33 species. This total included one new species for the garden...

Mottled Beauty

New species for the year included Light Emerald and Grey Pine Carpet. The most numerous species was (predicably) Heart and Dart (40); four each of Peppered and Lobster Moths were notable also. Yet another Cream-spot Tiger graced my trap.

Saturday night gave 80 moths of 32 species, with another new for the garden...

Shoulder-striped Wainscot

New species for the year in the trap were two Riband Waves and this Small Angle Shades...

...with a 'regular' (though rather pale) Angle Shades

A blustery Monday night gave 46 moths of 20 species. Despite the low numbers I still had a first for the garden, a very over-due one...

Orange Footman

I also managed to get a photo of a Sandy Carpet, a species which got away before being photographed last week...

Nice moth!

This morning was again quiet on the moth front, with
58 of 23 species. There were no new species for the garden but four Dark Arches a Bordered Straw and a Lychnis were new for the year. Singles of Eyed Hawkmoth, Orange Footman and The Shears were also notable.

It's nice having the sun out during the day, but please....let's have a bit of cloud cover at night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment