Pages

Thursday 17 June 2010

The BEST Way To Herald The Start Of A New Day

Despite the wind I still put one trap out last night as it had been a rather warm evening, and it proved very worthwhile. I do wish this wind would naff off though!!

I caught 79 moths of 24 species, with a new moth for the garden in the form of this Herald...

I'm very pleased to finally get one of these; it may be a little worn and mostly brown, but that orange is iridescent! Stunning!

The rest of the catch looked like this: 40 Heart and Dart, 8 Elephant Hawkmoths (a record for me), 5 Flame Shoulder, 2 Figure of Eighty, 2 Common Marbled Carpet, 2 Willow Beauty, 2 Sycamore, 2 Marbled Minor and singles of: Riband Wave, Yellow-barred Brindle, Brimstone, Purple Bar, Buff Ermine, Shuttle-shaped Dart, Heart and Club, Flame, Vine's Rustic, Ingrailed Clay, Dark Arches, Middle-barred Minor, Shoulder-striped Wainscot and Straw Dot.

Six of eight Elephant Hawks from this morning; I keep wishing for a small one of these, but not yet...

On a totally different note, I just had a look at Birdguides and this made me chuckle...

14:22 17/06/10
Further to the earlier report of Great White Egret in Suffolk, birders should note that the large egret viewable on a small pool from the Needham Market-Stowmarket train is in fact plastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment