Pages

Friday 25 October 2024

Redwing Passage and Black Redstart Influx

This morning I stood in the same spot at Lower Bruckland Ponds for about twenty five minutes. For most of this time rain of varying intensity fell from the sky, and the trees and bushes around me were all swaying in the persistent south easterly wind. 

I first stopped here as I could hear the soft contact calls of a small group of Long-tailed Tits above me, and then I was soon engulfed by these delightful little birds as it looked like three separate flocks came together at the very point I was stood.

Viewing conditions were difficult. The birds were often really elusive in the swaying trees, trying to get as much shelter as they could whilst foraging for food.  The constant downfall of autumn leaves also didn't help, time and time again a movement that caught the corner of my eyes proved to be yet another golden leaf dropping from height.  

Goldcrests and Chiffchaffs were plentiful among the tits, and a brief Coal Tit displayed what looked like a peaked rear crown and a not-that-olive mantle, but it quickly disappeared.   There were small birds everywhere, and I cannot describe the buzz and excitement this brought about within me. Every new movement I spotted, which wasn't a leaf, just felt like it could so easily have been a warbler with a wingbar or better. 

At the same time that I was searching through this monster tit flock, there were near constant flocks of Redwings flying over east/south east, seeping repeatedly as they swept low over the tree tops. I counted 270 birds in all, with the biggest single flock being of 70 birds. By far my biggest movement of the autumn so far.

Of course birding on the Axe patch is nothing like birding the migration hotspots of the east coasts, or the islands dotted around our little isle.  But it was really quite lovely to be reminded that the joy of autumn birding and the anticipation and excitement it brings can be as real here as anywhere.  

Birding is great. Autumn birding is even better.

Now back to patch basics. Bridge Marsh showed six Gadwall, a pair of Shoveler and two Cattle Egrets (the first time I have seen any this week so good to know they are still around).  And on the Estuary a Greenshank and Ruff remain, as well as my first Med Gull for a while, a rather plain-faced first-winter.  Despite several scans of the huge numbers of loafing large gulls there was nothing of note among them.  Away from Lower Bruckland Ponds I saw and heard several more Goldcrests and Chiffchaffs this morning, it is proving a good autumn for both these species here.

Rewinding back to Wednesday... it was a frustrating morning.  My walk to work was under a thin veil of valley fog, and I could read on my phone that above this many many thousands of Wood Pigeons were flying over, as well as plenty of other birds.  It started to clear as I got to work so did at least see about 1,000 Wood Pigeons fly west, as well as what will probably prove to be my last Swallow of the year. But I know I missed out on so much more.  

Wood Pigeons up high

 

Yesterday there was no fog.  And although clearly not the same quanitity of Wood Pigeons were moving as the previous morning, it was still a thrill to watch.  There were several big flocks taking the usual line, high above the coast heading west, but most of the birds were coming south down the Axe valley, unusally low, then turning west to join the usual line. I had several Siskin and Skylark over too but I couldn't give it the time it deserved.

That's more like it, migrating Wood Pigeons with a blue sky background


Thursday I also enjoyed a late lunchtime walk from work and was pleased to see the single Black Redstart of Monday was joined by two more, or indeed been replaced by three more!  Whatever, there were three, two along Shearwater Way and one at Axe Yacht Club. All first-winters with one clearly a male.

One of the many things I really enjoy about where I work is the location of it.  I have seen many good birds within a short walk of my office, but sometimes I don't even need to leave my desk...

Taken with my phone through a very dirty window!

Really excited for the next few weeks.  Hawfinches seem to be passing through mainly the east of the country in good numbers, and there are still plenty of rarities turning up with more and more being found in the south west now.  

I will be trying my hardest to keep the autumn magic alive that is for sure...


No comments:

Post a Comment