Pages

Wednesday 11 September 2024

Quick Axe Update

Yesterday there was still at least one Osprey on the Axe Estuary, but today I haven't seen any.  Doesn't necessarily mean they have all gone, but we know for sure the bird with missing primaries on its right wing has beause it is now on the Otter Estuary!

The last few days I haven't been out much, but during my walks to work it's been nice hearing and seeing small groups of Meadow Pipits fly over, a sure sign that autumn is progressing.  Same can be said about the multiple calling Chiffchaffs I'm coming across, doubt I'll see many more Willow Warblers now... not that I have seen many this autumn anyway! 

There's still at least three Bar-tailed Godwits and the Great Crested Grebe on the Estuary, with a dark-mantled gull present yesterday, which I think can only be a Lesser Black-backed x Herring Gull hybrid...

Top left


The short pale yellow legs, weak bill, cute head shape and overall size the main reasons why I think it has Lesser Black-backed Gull genes in it...

Spotting a dark mantle in a gull flock always excites me, so this outcome is very disappointing


Looking forward to getting out a bit more over the next few days... hopefully!



No comments:

Post a Comment