Pages

Saturday 22 January 2022

A Quick Update From The Axe

Although there has been no sign of any Glossy Ibis on the Axe for a couple of days now, the three I previously blogged about became four on the 16th.  And pleasingly for most of their stay they really did show this well...

I took this snap with my phone whilst on my walk to work

I was out early this morning as the flock of nine Glossy Ibis that have recently been frequenting the Otter and Exe were seen to fly our way yesterday at dusk.  No luck with them but being down Black Hole Marsh early had its benefits.  Four Cattle Egret flew north out of roost (three in a sizeable flock of Little Egrets, and one lonesome about five minutes earlier) and these two Goosander were loafing on the Estuary...

Taken in the half-light of pre-dawn, they flew off south at around 8am

Otherwise over the last few days I've seen a couple of female-type Black Restarts around Seaton, a Dipper on the River Coly at Colyford, and have just notched up my third Blackcap of the winter - they really are in short supply this winter.   The only oddity amongst our Canada Goose flock at the moment is a Dark-bellied Brent Goose, I do hope we haven't missed our chance of a Bean Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment