Pages

Sunday 27 January 2019

Macro Mandarin

Enjoyed a family day out to Dartmoor today, despite the brisk north west wind.... Well that's how I described it to my wife early this morning when I suggested we should go to Dartmoor today - blasting freezing cold wind originating from the centre of the Arctic circle would have proved a far more accurate description!

Due to this wind it was an in-car picnic and sheltered spots-only visit to Dartmoor. Our first spot was one of my favourites, Steps Bridge.  Am sure I'm with most people when I say I much prefer a woodland in the spring/summer, when the air is full of bird song and you're surrounded by nothing but luscious and vibrant colours. Saying that though there is something quite charming about the winter woodland, monochrome colours pretty much everywhere you look as the natural world re-sets itself for another busy season...



Something that could never be described as monochrome however was the highlight of the walk around Stover after lunch...



This was one of the six Mandarins that we saw, with this pair being the most obliging...



Here's a few more of the handsome drake...



This female was also fairly showy, among the Mallards in the prime feeding spot...



There were no Goosanders on the lake whilst we were there, with Tufted Ducks being the only diving ducks present...



Other than the usual Dippers, Siskins, Marsh Tits, Nuthatches, etc, that was it on the bird front today.  However I always leave Dartmoor looking forward to my next visit...

No comments:

Post a Comment