Pages

Monday 25 January 2016

BTO NEWS Count

Looking at the weather forecast for the week, and the tides, this afternoon looked like my best shot at completing my BTO Non-Estuarine Waterbird Surveys (NEWS), I signed up for all the sections between Weston and Branscombe - a three mile stretch of beach!  I parked up at Weston, walked down to the beach and then along the rocky shoreline to Branscombe where Dad kindly met me.

Weston Beach - with the first interesting looking rocks in the distance

First time I've been down here for umpteen years, and I'd forgotten about this rare looking scrubby valley that leads right down to the beach - bet there's been a few Sibes in here over the years!

This is what most of the shoreline looks like at low tide between Weston and Branscombe

Another pic of the rocks - I love the dramatic light in this pic though

I can't tell you how pleased I was to get to here! Branscombe and Dad

This stretch of coast isn't known for it's wading birds, so three Oystercatchers and a Curlew exceeded my dismally low expectations. A Grey Heron fishing in the rock pools was also a bit of a surprise.  On the sea the waves made viewing difficult with just singles of Great Crested Grebe and Red-throated Diver, three Razorbill and a Guillemot noted. Over the sea three Common Scoter west were the highlight, along with a dozen or so Gannets and a reasonably steady passage of large, Common and Black-headed Gulls.

Looks like we've got a few rough days ahead, and there seemed to be good numbers of large Gulls around the patch today.  I will be disappointed if by the end of the week I've not seen a white-winged or Caspian Gull. Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment