Pages

Sunday 20 September 2015

Siskins

I figured I needed to put something bird related up here before I lose all my readers! It's going to have to be brief though I'm afraid...

For me one of the most stand out features of this autumns migration (so far) has been Siskins...

Male Siskin

This really has been an exceptional autumn for migrating Siskins. I noted the first 'vis mig' Siskins in late August, which is early, and ever since numbers have been on the up. I am not exaggerating when I say every time I've gone outside in the last couple of weeks - whether it's been birding, dog walking, going to work - I have heard Siskin.  Even had some over Watford and Egham last Saturday when Jess and I spent the day further east than usual.  I've not actually seen all that many as they have mostly been passing over high, but numbers like this so early in the season may be a good sign for the remainder of the autumn. Hopefully other irruptive Scandinavian species won't be far behind them...

No comments:

Post a Comment